DrRacket and History of Computing
From
Week 1 to Week 4, my computer science course can be roughly divided into two
parts, which are how to use DrRacket to achieve different goals, and how the
way of representing information by computers developed over human’s history.
Personally,
the part about operating DrRacket is not hard for me. It becomes more
interesting during my exploration of DrRacket. I enjoy the learning process. It
is a pleasure when I find DrRacket can be applied in various areas, like doing calculations,
creating new images, and making animations. However, the history part is not as
interesting as DrRacket. In the beginning, I can hardly focus on professor’s
teaching about the improvement of representing information, but this situation
is changing in the recent classes. I gradually realize the connections between
the two parts, which I originally considered them to be separate. DrRacket is
the tool that helps me understand how computers work. The combination of
operating DrRacket and learning the principle of computing makes me feel less
tedious.
The
problem that I find difficult is the transformation from numbers (base 10) to
binary numbers, and vice versa. I have never learned binary numbers before, so
it is difficult for me to suddenly accept a brand new way of representing the
numbers which I am familiar with. I solve this problem by using a simple
method. I do the transformation many times until I feel good about it. I
force myself to change some random numbers back and forth. The practices are really helpful because
they make me completely understand how computers can use limited expressions to
represent all different types of information, like numbers, images, and sounds.
I bet you have good command of the binary questions now.
ReplyDeleteDear professor, I posted my way of solving the problem of folding paper. Could you check whether i am correct or not?
Delete